Monday, March 30, 2020

Declutter vs. Zero waste - can they co-exist?

I noted there are quite some controversial articles on web discussing darkside of decluttering.  The article claimed that people purge their clutter unmindfully, which harms the landfill or people regret afterwards.  I may not be in a position to comment as decluttering could be a personal journey and my significant half just believes the same, and thus keeping more than purging, selling or giving out.  This makes my decluttering journey not smooth as I expect.  Nevertheless, I still attempt to find a way out to purge in a more mindful way or make full use of my clutter without jeopardizing achieving the zero waste goal.

1. Before buying, I really try to think through before going ahead.  Home space is limited and new items could just be my headache in the future.  Recently I was tempted to buy a laminating machine for preparing homemade teaching materials for my little monster.  Eventually, I used an iron with cork board, and a cloth napkin to make this happen.  After all, I don't need to laminate stuff daily and making teaching materials isn't my daily job.  The extra laminating pouch being bought could be a limit for my future headache.  Another temptation was a child standing easel at deep discount amidst of covid-19.  While my little monster shows much interest in drawing recently, we don't have extra space for the child easel.  After discussing with my another half, no conclusion was made.  I then hanged my cork board with a ribbon onto her learning tower, added three empty glass jars for her color pencils etc, and provided water color dried on several empty eyeshadow palettes.  Hope she like her new art corner.



2. I tried to sell valuable items via web, or give them to my friends who may find the items can be of use.  Why not?  You may not be able to sell them or giving them out immediately but decluttering is never a race! We couldn't have a quick fix anyway. Why don't we do it slowly and progressively? The platforms I used in Hong Kong and Singapore including carousell, freesth, and Facebook marketplace. You may find one or two suits your need in your countries.  Power to sort and search could be crucial to find a suitable platform but culture of users is also important.  After all, you don't want to be stood up or disappointed all the time.


3. I always try to buy from the second hand platform.  Not only that you may buy the item at deep discount, you don't have to create additional wastes to Mr. Earth.  You also may have to wait for the suitable item to pop up and this waiting period can serve as cooling off period.  So you may think through before committing. The process will let you know more about the item (you may talk to the seller discussing on the item), the place and culture if you are new to a place as now I am experiencing.  That could be a funny experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment