Monday, March 2, 2020

MoonCup

I am not an expert on mooncup but just an experienced user who have been using this for more than 5 years.  Because so many friends asked more about this product,  here comes with my story and my tips for first time users.

When I considered using mooncup, there's not so much about environmental consideration.  Just that I felt itchy when using sanitary pads, probably because production line has been moved to the mainland China by then.  Being affected for a short period of time, my boyfriend, now my husband read a newspaper article about mooncup and suggested me to take a look.

It wasn't easy to accept this at first but the monthly challenge was really annoying. Finally I made up my mind and searched a bit on website where I could buy a mooncup.  At that time this wasn't too popular.  Yes, you might be able to get one but the cost could be much higher than now.  I had to commit for at least 2 years to make this investment worth (comparing with cost on buying sanitary pads).  Turn out I bought one from UK mooncup (the original silicon menstrual cup), size B which is for a woman under the age of 30 who have not given birth vaginally.

When it arrived, I spent quite some time to read the online instructions. Okay, you just
1. need a small pot to sterile it (by putting it into boiling water for 5 to 10 min)
2. need to know that you cannot have it inside your vagina when going to no.2
3. need to trim the stem to fish the mooncup when you want to empty the cup every several hours (which implied that some practice can be made to adjust length of the stem).

I did give a try before that important day, with a biology lesson given by my boyfriend (He got a better public exam result in biology 😂)  With his verbal assistance, I successfully put it into my body and took it out. Okay, another round of sterilization.

Finally, it was the day. A little bit discomfort coz the long stem despite I had adjusted beforehand based on my cervix on the day of practising.  But it was still too long.  Never mind, I could adjust more with a pack or two alcohol wipe, a scissor and headed to the toilet cubicle.  Sucks! All surfaces inside cubicle could be too dirty for putting my mooncup on.  Okay, packaging of the alcohol wipe would do but I would buy a milk bottle, with a ring lid so I could put the mooncup in together with the rinsing tap water.  Why not buy a glass milk bottle from second hand market? Perfecto, all set!

I recalled this was a hot summer in Hong Kong with high relative humidity.  I experienced three or four carefree menstrual cycles that summer which I have never experienced in my life.  Since then, I needed not to be annoyed by the hot and wet weather, and to worry about night time leakage!

A year after using this little product, I bought another 3 for my sisters and a size A to myself to plan for the future.  At the same time I gave all my pads to a young girl.  Since then I have more space in drawer under bed, and need not pack so many (pads) for my long overseas trips, and I could describe exactly volume and color of my menses to my doctor.






No comments:

Post a Comment